December 27, 2014

Bring on 2015

The remainder of 2014 was pretty darn good all things considered. I always find that when I have the chance to take a step back and put things in perspective, I start to recognize the positive and not dwell so much on the negative. I guess I'm guilty of being a bit type A, what can I say!

I had a blast riding Bunny at Dressage at Devon in the Breed Show. He was just amazing. We were entered in the 5 year old Suitability and 5 year old Materiale classes. We placed 4th in the Suitability which was so cool. Bunny was obedient and workmanlike throughout the entire experience. I really couldn't have asked for him to be any better. He just blows me away with his disposition. I then returned the next day with old man Hootie who was a member of the DVCTA's Second Level Quadrille Team. We schooled under the lights Thursday evening and then peformed under the lights Friday evening, with an encore performance Saturday afternoon. Hootie was definitely the craziest horse in the group with his levades. I didn't know he had it in him! Even though he had competed at Devon twice with me in the past he still got excited about the electric environment. It was great fun being a part of such a fun team. It was a great group of ladies and a memorable experience I will cherish.


Photo by Mark T. Donaldson

Photo by Mark T. Donaldson


Photo by Mark T. Donaldson


Photo by Mark T. Donaldson
Photo by Mark T. Donaldson
Photo by Mark T. Donaldson
Photo by Vidal Photography

Photo by Mark T. Donaldson

Photo by Mark T. Donaldson

Photo by Mark T. Donaldson


After just two cross country lessons, Bunny made a successful leap into eventing by winning the Beginner Novice Division at the Plantation Field Starter Trial on November 2nd. The weather that day could not have been worse. The rain was nonstop, it was cold and the ground was a sloppy mess. There were tons of scratches, but the yours truly, the Dressage Queen, marched on. I was bound and determined to compete that day regardless of the lousy weather. Bunny was a perfect gentleman in the grass dressage ring. He really listened to me and seemed to acknowledge that my half halts were important for our well-being; he isn't shod yet so we didn't have a whole lot going for us in regards to traction. The wet grass felt like an ice rink. Not so cool! We put in a solid test for a 19.50! I think that was the lowest score of the day. Stadium went well except for one rail which Bunny honestly didn't see and I didn't ride into well. And cross country was crazy fun. We did a little walking and trotting where the footing was bad, but had a pleasant round. When I crossed the finish I burst into tears and gave him the biggest hug. I was so proud of him. He's come a long way from when I got him as an un-broke 3 coming 4 year old in March 2013. It's safe to say that I've got the eventing bug and will be looking to do more horse trials in 2015.






Photo by Mark T. Donaldson

 


Audi has been doing great, building strength and fitness in his core. I'm incorporating more ground work into my weekly routine with the pessoa lunging system. It's a great tool for building core strength and improved balance. I feel a huge difference in Audi's overall fitness when I ride him. I'm looking forward to having the winter to focus on making the flying changes more confirmed while also working on the canter pirouettes. His trot work continues to evolve and gets better and better. We've had some good lessons with Scott Hassler so there's plenty of homework for us to work on until everyone comes back from Florida in April.

I owe a special thank you to Hassler Dressage and Harmony Sporthorses for hosting a fantastic 10th Annual Young Dressage Horse Trainers Symposium. The two and half intensive days were led by Scott Hassler, Ingo Pape, Michael Klimke, Anne Gribbons and Oliver Oelrich. The Young Dressage Horse Trainers Symposium has been extremely instrumental in my development as both a trainer and teacher, and I feel very fortunate that I'm able to continue to be a part of it.







It has been an productive year, full of growth and learning and I'm looking forward to 2015. Wishing you a pleasant holiday and a healthy new year!


No comments:

Post a Comment