January 21, 2013

Winter calm

For the first time I'm actually enjoying the downtime that winter tends to grant me each year whether I like it or not. I typically have trouble adjusting to the slower pace that tends to come with the cold and dark days, however this year seems to be the exception. 2012 was a really busy year so it's nice to be able to give my own horses a little rest and relaxation, as well as myself. I think it's healthy for all of us, and will keep us mentally and physically fitter in the long-run. I'm still working out, running approximately 3-4 times a week and I work my horses as often as the weather permits. So far the snow and ice has been tolerable, although as I type I can see a hefty amount of snowfall outside. And I have several students who are still able to take lessons since they have access to indoor arenas so my teaching brain is still active.

Plans for a show season are taking shape and so far it looks comparable to last year. The only question mark for Audi will be how much showing he does. My goal is to work towards Third level this year but it's a challenge to do that while showing Second level. I'm on the fence about whether I should focus on training and fitness, or showing. Right now I'm leaning towards training since that will benefit my long-term goals, but we shall see. I need to keep my fingers crossed that we can start back to full work come March and that we don't get hit with some crazy late winter snowstorm.

Until then, we will take advantage of the warmer days and do what we can.


Circles, Circles, Circles
Audi is a sweetie pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment